However, the first archaeological excavations began in 1928 when the Italian government sent an expedition to Butrint, led by Luigi Maria Ugolini, who worked very well until his death in 1936, but the excavations continued until 1943, stopped by World War II. The Roman city and the Greek city were unearthed, including the gate of the Lions and the Scee gates, named by Ugolini in memory of the famous gates of Troy mentioned in the Iliad.
The archaeological remains of Butrint are part of the natural woodland with a complex ecosystem, dependent on the nearby Lake Butrint and the Vivari Channel, the latter draining the former into the Ionian Sea.
When you enter the site, the path leads to the right, to the Greek theater of Butrint, isolated in the forest under the acropolis. It is one of the best preserved ancient theaters in Albania, with 19 levels of seating. It was built for the first time in the second half of the 3rd century BC; Also in use during the Roman period, the theater could accommodate about 2500 people.
This website was designed with Mobirise theme